2012 was the year of self-discovery for me, and the "constant traveler" lifestyle helped with that tremendously. I have gained a lot of insight into who I am and what makes me happy (one of the reasons that I urge anybody who hasn't lived abroad yet to try it!).
I have finished developing my goals for 2013, and this year I want to start laying a foundation for my long-term goals. This will require a little more stability than I have had in my life so far.
So I'm going to return to Paraguay, and I will be staying there for the next 6-12 months. I'm going to be renting an apartment, paying utility bills, establishing credit... maybe even buying a motorcycle (:
I hope to pick up the permanent traveler torch later this year or early next year, and I will be taking a few trips during this year as well. I'm expecting to have a good mix of experiences both living and traveling abroad to post on FiveYearsAbroad during 2013.
So for those of you who are curious about what it's like to live long-term in Paraguay, you are about to find out!
Anyway, by now I am sure you are all dying to know what these goals are, so let's get started.
- Successful full-time entrepreneurship: At least one project that I am working on full-time that is bringing in a sustainable income. Doesn’t have to be massively successful; it just has to be something that I am passionate about and can generate an income to support my lifestyle.
- Conversational Spanish fluency: Ability to start or join a conversation with native Spanish speakers and be able to hold my own. Don’t need to know the language 100%, but should be able to speak without having to mentally plan my sentences out beforehand, and be able to understand what people say the first time they say it.
- First successful passive income investment: some kind of investment – maybe a rental property, or a side e-business, microloans, etc. – that brings in at least US$1000 per month without requiring a significant amount of time to maintain (less than a few hours per month).
- Successful romantic relationship: A relationship with a woman that I feel like I could fall in love with and who could fall in love with me. Doesn't mean I have to be in love with somebody by the end 2013, but the potential needs to be there. Also doesn’t have to be just one relationship that lasts the entire year; could be multiple short relationships... or even just one. I just need to know that I am attracting the right people into this part of my life.
- Eliminate everything from my life that I am not passionate about: This includes projects I’m not interested in and relationships that don’t contribute positively to my life. Also, build the skills necessary to stop letting things I am not passionate about into my life in the future.
- Learn a new physical skill: Perhaps dancing (e.g., salsa), sports-related (e.g., snowboarding) or self-defense (e.g., Krav Maga) — getting myself to a level of mastery where I have learned the technique and can enjoy the activity without having to think about what I am doing.
- Six-pack abs by December 31, 2013: Overall muscular build would be nice, but my core is what I am most interested in developing.
I will be posting about each of these goals in more detail over the coming days, including what you can do to help! (:
Life-changing personal development aside, some other things happened today.
I also bought fruit from a street vendor, including some raw figs. They're not bad; a little squishy, but still tasty and fun to eat. I wonder why I could only ever find them in dehydrated form back in the States....
This evening, I was going to attend a Spanish language exchange meetup, but at the last second, I decided I didn't want to go. And I do mean literally at the last second; I was at the location waiting for everyone to show up, when suddenly I started feeling incredibly anti-social.
This is the fourth time now that I've tried to attend a Spanglish group solo and failed. Curious. Maybe next time I'll meet up with a friend beforehand; I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind going to one of these events if I could show up with somebody.
|Buying fruit from a street vendor in the Bellas Artes barrio.|
And yes, I'm still wearing my blue shirt :P